Please refer to the Australian Qualifications Framework website for more information on qualification levels.
NEAS does not accredit individual teachers. NEAS accredited ELT centres are required to note the following in employing teaching staff. Teachers in NEAS Approved ELT Centres are required to hold at least the following qualifications:
|a recognised degree or equivalent and a recognised TESOL qualification|
|a recognised degree or equivalent and a teaching qualification with TESOL method|
|a recognised degree in education with TESOL method|
The detailed information necessary for assessing qualifications can normally be found in program transcripts from universities. Teachers holding degrees or equivalent from overseas institutions should contact the relevant State/Territory education authority or AEI-NOOSR.
- A degree or equivalent is at least three years full-time (or its part-time equivalent) in length.
- A TESOL qualification results from a program of study having at least the following characteristics:
- no less than 100 contact hours, or the equivalent in Distance Education programs, with a content focus on English language, language learning, TESOL teaching
- a practical component including at least six hours supervised and assessed practice teaching in TESOL and
- approved/awarded by a university, approved by government, or a recognised TESOL program such as the Cambridge Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA)
- A teaching qualification with TESOL method includes a Graduate Diploma in Education with TESOL.
- A degree in education or teaching with TESOL method includes a Bachelor of Education with TESOL method.