AMEP Teaching

Teachers in the Adult Migrant English Program are required to hold qualifications as specified in the licence conditions of the Certificates in Spoken and Written English (CSWE).  As a minimum, these are either:

  • A recognised bachelor degree – a formal qualification awarded by an Australian university or tertiary institution, or its onshore or overseas equivalent, that is at least three years full‐time in length or its part‐time equivalent and a recognised postgraduate TESOL qualification at AQF 8 or higher – resulting from a course of study in which course content of no less than 100 contact hours (or distance learning equivalent) covers the grammar of the English language, language learning and TESOL methodology and includes a *practicum or A Bachelor of Education with a TESOL major or equivalent that includes a practicum*; or
  • a Bachelor of Education with a TESOL major or equivalent which includes a practicum*


a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or equivalent.

* The practicum must be at least 60 hours long and include, for example, supervised teaching, observation, field visits, resources evaluation, team teaching, volunteer tutoring etc.  If a course undertaken has less than 60 hours practicum, teachers must demonstrate teaching experience equivalent to 60 hours, or must make up the difference in duration by individually organising a supervised practicum. Appropriate documentation of such a practicum should be kept.

AMEP Classroom

Teachers holding qualifications from overseas institutions should contact the relevant State/Territory education authority.

Full details are available by viewing the CSWE Licence Terms.

The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) is funded by the Australian Government Department of Education and Training