NEAS teacher qualifications
Teachers in NEAS endorsed ELT Centres are required to hold at least the following qualifications:
- a recognised degree or equivalent*and
- a recognised TESOL qualification**; or
- a recognised degree in education with TESOL method ***
It is the responsibility of the employing organisation to verify qualifications and to check these against the applicable criteria. If in doubt, please ask the teacher to have their qualifications assessed by NEAS.
* The detailed information necessary for assessing qualifications can normally be found in program transcripts from universities. Teachers holding a degree or equivalent from overseas institutions should contact the relevant State or Territory education authority or Department of Education and Training to confirm local equivalence. For the purposes of the above requirements, NEAS affirms that a degree or equivalent is at least three years full-time (or its part-time equivalent) in length.
** A TESOL qualification results from a program of study having all of the following characteristics:
- no less than 100 contact hours, or the equivalent in Distance Education programs, with a content focus on English language, language learning and TESOL teaching
- a practical component including at least six hours practice teaching in TESOL to actual students (not to classmates), supervised and assessed by a teacher who is qualified as per these requirements
- is a recognised qualification delivered by an education provider registered with government as being eligible to deliver nationally recognised qualifications
*** A degree in education or teaching with TESOL method includes a Bachelor of Education with TESOL method.
Please refer to the Australian Qualifications Framework website for more information on qualification levels.